From idea to transfer
Accredited Test Lab
Fields of expertise
In this overview of the fields of expertise you will find test methods from these fields and the responsible contact persons for this field. Additional to the listed standards, we would also are able to provide you with individual offers on technical delivery conditions for the German Armed Forces, automobile tests and others. We also can check national or international standards, which are not listed below, for their feasibility in our lab. Under the respective field of expertise you will find a link to the range of services and the corresponding standards of the field. There you can individually select your desired standards and request a corresponding offer.
Overview of the fields of expertise
Textile physical test
We offer you a large number of physical textile tests, from single fibres to yarns and flat textiles such as nonwovens, woven or knitted fabrics. To do this, we use test equipment from well-known manufacturers. In addition to the standard tests (tensile test or the abrasion stress), we always strive to enable you to make special requests.
A large number of test and measuring devices are available for electrostatic tests.
The range of services includes:
- Assessment of the electrostatic behaviour of textiles and other materials.
Measuring of the chargeability of floor coverings by the “walking test”, resistance measurement and discharge behaviour.
- Investigations to avoid electrostatic charges when processing textiles.
- Testing of the frictional behaviour of fibres and textiles.
Examination of care and usage behaviour
In the field of textile care, the assessments can be made on clothing products, including protective clothing, as well as home and household textiles. Standardised laundry technology for the household sector as well as industrial reprocessing processes are used.
Textile chemical and human ecological testing
- Material characterisation by spectroscopical, thermoanalytical and rheological methods
- Determination of dynamic surface tension of fluids and their contact angles on textiles
- Analysis of harmful substances (e.g. heavy metals, arylamines, phthalates, solvent residues)
- Determination of fogging characteristics or odourpropagation
- Quantitative analysis of fibre mixtures
- Environmental analysis (water, waste water, exhaust air)
- Protection against chemicals (permeation), cytostatics and pesticides
OEKO-TEX® Test lab
Special optical and physical testing
Special equipment is available for selected examinations, e.g.
- Scanning electron microscope with EDX
- KES system according to Kawabata for the determination of tensile, shearing, bending, compression, friction, roughness parameters as a statement for "grip"
- Image processing system with programmed evaluation, e.g. for quantitative detection of surface properties and internal structure of materials
Complex quality evaluation for sun protection textiles
- Development of methods and procedures for objective assessment of the product quality of sun protection textiles in cooperation with the
Verband innenliegender Sicht- und Sonnenschutz e.V. (VIS)
- Comprehensive programme of up to 11 individual tests for practice-oriented tests for:
- Colour, surface and dimensional stability
- Light transmission and reflection
- Application-specific stress tests for climate change and scuffing
- Award of the "STFI geprüft" signet after successful testing
- Test facility for the load resistance of complex sun protection systems with all components
Testing of personal protective equipment
The corresponding testing options exist for the following product groups of personal protective equipment:
- Protective clothing for workers exposed to heat (EN ISO 11612)
- Protective clothing for use in welding and allied processes (EN ISO 11611)
- Protective clothing with limited flame spread (EN ISO 14116)
- Protective clothing against thermal risks of an electrical arc (IEC 61482-Serie)
- Protective clothing for fire fighters (EN 469, EN 13911)
- High visibility warning clothing (EN ISO 20471, EN 17353)
- Protective clothing for rescue service personnel (DGUV-Regulation 105-003)
- Protective clothing against rain (EN 343)
- Protective clothing against cool environments (EN 14058)
- Protective clothing against cold (EN 342)
- Chemical protective clothing; Type 3, 4, 5, 6 (EN 14605, EN ISO 13982-1, EN 13034 )
- Protective clothing against radioactive contamination (EN 1073-2)
- Protective clothing against pesticides (DIN 32781)
- Protective clothing-Antistatic properties (EN 1149-Serie)
- Protective clothing for use where there is a risk of entanglement with moving parts (EN 510)
- Workwear in food business (DIN 10524)
- Protective gloves against mechanical and thermal risks (EN 388, EN 407)
- Protective gloves against chemicals and micro-organisms (EN ISO 374-1)
- Protective gloves for fire fighters (EN 659)
- Protective gloves for welders (EN 12477)
- Protective gloves for electrostatic properties (EN 16350)
Testing of filter media
In the field of filter testing, the main focus is on testing of the retention capacity of textile fabrics against airborne particles. In addition to the determination of the Initial fractional efficiency and the dust hold capacity, investigations of the First bubble point can also be done. These tests are accompanied by testing classic parameters from textile physics.
Testing of fibre composites
Based on the technological competencies, the area of testing fiber composite materials has been continuously expanded. Tests such as tensile, compression and bending tests according to various national and international standards are part of the standard programme. The range of services also includes the production of test plates using common process technologies, as well as the precision cutting or machining of test specimens using a CNC milling machine.
Cargo securing tests
In the field of cargo securing, the testing possibilities in the STFI have been expanded constant in recent years. Starting with the testing of textile straps for lashing devices and webbing nets, the testing portfolio also includes testing of complete cargo securing systems. Lashing straps are tested both statically and dynamically in accordance with the relevant standards. In the case of nets, the test spectrum ranges from nets for protection of personal to air cargo securing nets.